Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What's a Water Horse?

I watched The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep the other night. Taylor went to bed early and I stayed up to watch it because I knew he wouldn't care to see it. It is based on a Scottish legend (the Loch Ness monster) and was a decent fantasy movie. The main character is a cute kid, but I liked seeing Ben Chaplin, who plays the handyman who comes to work at the kid's house. I had a huge crush on him when he was in the Garafalo & Thurman picture, The Truth About Cats & Dogs. He was adorable in that silly romantic comedy.



It was a bit Disney-esque, which may be appropriate since it could well be a Disney film, I didn't notice, but it had that sort of sweeping, grand feel to it that is reminiscent of Disney movies. I enjoyed it, even the Free Willy ending, but it would have been more entertaining to a child. I am very excited that I have Legend and Sweeney Todd now, two movies that I am very, very stoked to see. I've already seen Legend, but it's been years. I want Elsa to see it this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Legend as in Tom Cruise Legend? Yea I remember watching that movie as a kid. Loved the unicorns, since I collected anything unicorn my entire childhood. I also remember having serious nightmares about the bad guy. But Elsa might be a lot less paranoid than I was at her age.