Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Quotable

I should be working - my plate is so full right now - but in lieu of a more thoughtful post, here is a quote, which I love, from Shelf Awareness. Take that, digital book downloads!

"The book is warm. The book is handy. The book is handsome to the eye. The book occupies the shelf of the owner and is a reflection of him or her or, actually, me. The book is always there, to be reached for, to be thumbed and, too often I admit, to wonder about: Why did I buy this? My bookcase is full of mysteries. . . . I asked a bookseller in New York to recommend a brilliant but unheralded book, and he went through his shelves and picked out several, none of which I had ever heard of. Her Privates We was one of them. The Hemingway blurb sold me. No digital anything can do that."--Columnist Richard Cohen in the Washington Post.

No comments: