Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mobile, the City on the Bay

This past weekend, Judge and I went to Mobile with two of my coworkers for the Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance Trade Show, or SIBA. It was a lot of fun. I recently started putting my photos in a Flickr slideshow, but honestly, I don't like how it looks. So I'm just posting them here, one by one. Forgive the length, but I think it looks better.


Below, the rest stop on the Tennessee-Alabama border. The rocket sits out front. You can't go to the Alabama coast without stopping at Durbin Farms in Chilton County. The peach ice cream and fried pies are the best. Or you can just take a bushel of okra, corn, or peaches home with you. My family and I have been stopping there for years on our way to the Florida panhandle for some redneck riveria action.
First night, we went to Felix's Fish Camp in Spanish Fort, outside of Mobile. The food and service were amazing. I highly recommend it.
Veets: Across the street from our hotel on Water Street. Judge and I went over there and played with the house band for three songs. It was fun.
Royal and Dauphin in downtown Mobile.
The Saenger Theatre. Love the ornate detail on this.
Beinville Square in downtown Mobile.
Marker in Bienville Square for the Battle of Mobile Bay.
Here's a look at the outside of Veet's.
We went to Gulf Shores just to see the sunset. It was great. 45 minutes away, but great.
Ah, the trade show. Nothing but books, books, books, and more books, as far as the eye can see.
The booth for my company. We rocked it.
For our sponsored party, the Fire and Brimstone BBQ, where we launched a wonderful new novel, Cain's Version.
The author of the amazing book, Frank Durham. He's a former member of the Tulane faculty. He was a physics professor.
The outside view, where the dinner was held, on the Mobile River.
Another view of the outside, this time with food.
Frank reading from Cain's Version.
From left to right, Todd Bottorff, Publisher at Turner Publishing, Peg O'Donnell, Sales Director at Chelsea Green, Frank Durham, author of Cain's Version, and Diane Wilson, author of Holy Roller.
Frank in front of his gargantuan banner.
Don't know what this is, but I like it.

No comments: