Monday, July 6, 2009

Psst!

A couple things:

1. I am sad about Steve McNair. It seems stupid. Both because my illusion of him is shattered and that a senseless death has occurred.

2. Ants have invaded my shower, of all places. Why is this?

3. It is cold in my office and I will not stand for it. Window open! (Even if the building maintenance man comes by to tell me it’s not allowed. If it isn’t - help me understand how I’m supposed to operate in SUB ZERO TEMPERATURES.)

4. I’ve been reading a lot of Larry Brown. I am terribly sad that he died so young. And like three months before I discovered his writing.

5. I went to Memphis this weekend and liked it. I spent my time there on a rooftop above the Central station and at the Arcade Restaurant.

6. I received Oxford American’s Best of the South and I am soooooooo excited. It’s always my favorite issue. And how can you beat the cheapest thrills of the South? Priceless. When I grow up, I will write for the OA.

7. I have given up voice mail. I have taken up hot tea with more regularity. No, these are not related, however I would like to find a link just for hilarity’s sake.

8. I am bummed that they have closed the Main Branch library on Mondays. I need to go by there today, but NOOOOOOO they have to cut back due to the economy, even though more people are using the library in these recessional days.

9. I want to go fishing. I want to go to Mississippi. I want to not feel burnt out with the day-to-day. I want to see my grandparents more. I want to learn how to sew. I want to linger. I want my brother to not move to Salt Lake City. I want discipline to become the writer I’ve always envisioned myself as being. I wish I could speak to Fred Bonnie again. Just once.

10. I fear I am blue today.

11. But Guy Clark is helping. Is there a Guy Clark and John Prine station out there where I can listen to them and only them?

1 comment:

chez bez said...

I'm with you on most of these things. I'm thankful that I have no ants in my shower.