Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Suggest-Fest

Rainy, Misty, Grey, Kind-of-Cool Summer Day
When I arrive in my office, turn on the light on the desk, and it still looks like it’s dark outside, that is a good, moody day. The whole office is quiet save for the slight rain against the windows. I wish I could be lying on the couch at home with a good book, but at least I am here, reading about a boy who is dead, but isn’t, and it is terribly entertaining. Days like today seem good for a meditation of sorts.

Iced Coffee with Soy Milk
Fill it 3/4 the way full of coffee, splash in a healthy dose of soy, and I am happy. I have almost completely quit drinking coffee, but every now and then I have to wander across the street and grab a wake up call.

Naiv. Super by Erlend Loe
Incredible novella by a Norwegian author. It’s a fast read and the language is gorgeous. It’s one of those stories that stays with you and speaks to you. Desperate like Satre.

Making New To-Do Lists
It’s how I figure out what to do, when. I am simple when it comes to focusing, so if I have a list in front of me, it makes me work toward something or a group of somethings. But the best part is - crossing off the done items with a red pen. I highly suggest it.

Best of the South, the Oxford American
Thus far, I’ve only read the first essay, but I can say the Oxford American is one of the greatest publications of all time. I go geek for it. Really. I love how consistent the writing and art within is, and how much it is a pleasure to read. I even like the ads (Kathleen!) and wish I could advertise the Joiners in there. They’ll have a booth at the Southern Festival of Books, if any of you Nashvillians are interested.

Gymnopedie No. 2, Erik Satie
Simple, floating, ethereal. I love how delicate this work is and it makes me be still when I am running about like crazy. It silences me.

Zack Galifianakis
Because he’s funny. And I’ll be screening his film, Visioneer, hopefully soon.

No comments: