Monday, July 26, 2010

Downtown Birmingham

Welcome to our neighborhood. I am facinated by the buildings which surround us in our new apartment. I grew up in Birmingham (ok, Shelby County, but we call it 'Birmingham' anyway) but I am getting to know the city in a completely different way. Here are a couple of shots I've taken while traversing the city streets the past couple weeks. (P.S. - if my pictures and how they are spaced is quite wonky, forgive me, I can't figure out how to fix it.)





I love this building (and you can too - buy it!) It's called the "Leer Tower," but it's formerly the Thomas Jefferson Hotel. I just think it is gorgeous, even though it is in need of major renovation. It sits on 2nd Avenue North and 17th Street.





















Ah, the Alabama Theatre. It's one of my favorite places in the world, and I can see it from my window. I always went as a kid to watch old movies during the summer movie season. It's really remarkable and just astonishingly beautiful. They also hold concerts there.
















St. Paul's Catholic Church on 3rd Avenue North and 21st.





















We went down the street to the Magic City Grille. It may not look fancy, but man can they cook. I am happy to be back in the land of good eatin'.













Here's Judge eating fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Helpings are huge and it's cheaper if you go in the 22nd Street entrance rather than the 3rd Avenue North entrance.



















Birmingham skyline at dawn from our loft window. You can see the Lyric Theater with its lights still on beneath the Wachovia tower.













The Lyric Theater. It's an old Vaudeville theater built in 1914. They're in the process of restoring it and you can find out more here. It's located on the corner of 3rd Avenue North and Eighteenth Street. We can see it from our window.













Last but not least, here is Pete's Famous Hot Dogs. It is on 2nd Avenue North and is an eighty year old (or so) establishment. It is so tiny! Getting a cold Coca Cola and a Special Dog on a hot summer day is pure perfection.




















And here it is - the special dog!

1 comment:

Char said...

all of my old haunts!!! i used to work on the 25th floor of the wachovia tower. welcome.

we're much closer now as i'm in montgomery. :) i go to photography classes at samford on monday nights.