Sunday, September 19, 2010

Daydreams

  • Owning an entire, huge, weighty, comprehensive book of Vincent van Gogh's work. I would like to be able to see the sketches, the paintings, and the watercolors he amassed over the years. Reading a book of his letters has given me an entirely new perspective on the man and his legend. I would like to see how that reflects in all of his work, as he expressed most importantly was the way to judge an artist: by looking at the entire breadth of their work.
  • Going to Holland. This also has to do with reading van Gogh's letters. I am intrigued by the prospect of canals and fields and beautiful horizons.
  • I wish my local NPR station would carry Tom Ashbrook's On Point. I always enjoyed catching it while in the car in Nashville and instead of playing his show, here in Birmingham they play Diane Rehm's show - twice. Sigh. I miss you Tom.
  • A record player that works. I own two record players, but one has a belt that is messed up (our old 60s school player that we've used for years) and another is one Taylor's grandparents gave us, but we lack the speakers to make it audible. All my records sit silently in the floor, mocking me, seemingly taunting me with their possibility of sound. I need to get the players fixed, pronto. There's nothing like a morning complete with sunshine through the window and Joni Mitchell or Miles Davis on vinyl.
  • I am daydreaming of the astrological events of the near future. Jupiter has moved closer to us than he's been in twelve years and shines brightly in the sky, the autumnal equinox is upon us, and September will see the Harvest Moon. This time of year always sends melancholy chills up my spine and I revel in the inspiration the change in light cause within me. It means a lowering in temperature, a dying of the leaves, a sprightly spring added to the collective step of the masses, and a scent in the air that smells like poetry: burning, nostalgic, perfect poetry.
  • What to name the babe? What's in a name? Evidently a lot, because I can't come up with a name to save my life. Every one I suggest, Judge does not like and vice versa. The little one needs a moniker to represent her to her fullest potential, so she can be the star of her own novel, and although I have found some lovely possibilities, none have stuck.

No comments: